Online shopping security
Probably one of the most pressing issues facing internet users today, are scammers and hackers. It's a problem everyone faces and we want to help you stay safe when purchasing and paying for goods on the internet
There are a few basic things to look out for when visiting a site. I will briefly go over them here:
- If it doesn't look right...When you visit a website and it just doesn't look right or you think it might not be secure, you should follow your instincts and leave the site. Here are some goods tips to follow before buying from any website:
- Bank quality encryption: Look for the "s" in the "https" in the web address. This indicates that the site is encrypted and should be very safe.
- Secure payment gateways: Look for secure payment options on the website you plan on buying from. All good e-commerce websites should have some form of secure payment gateway like Paypal, Payfast, etc. This allows you to buy goods from a site without your credit card details being stored on the site itself. Payment gateways like these store your information securely on their databases.
- Public computers: Don't use public computers when you make purchases or payments. Computers store information in the "cache" and this could store all your browsing history, key strokes and even login credentials, which could be accessed by the public.
- Security software: Make sure you have a good, reliable internet security protection software installed. There are various types available for very reasonable prices. Rather spend a few hundred Rand on Anti-malware/-spyware/-virus than loose big sums of money from someone breaking into your bank account. Reputable names are McAfee, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, etc. Here is a list of the top 10 best Antivirus software for 2020.
- Public WiFi: Don't use public WiFi unless it's through a secure VPN service. Hackers can access your information very easily over public WiFi.
There is of course a lot more to look out for than the above mentioned points , but this should help you to get started. The best advice is this: trust your instincts! If it doesn't feel right, don't do it!!
Dandashop is also a Verified Bid or Buy seller since 2015 with a near 100% positive rating from our buyers for six years AND you have an automatic R5000 money back guarantee when purchasing from Dandashop through Bid or Buy!